Bread sticks originated in Italy and also known as grissini, grissino or dipping sticks. They are smooth or with some texture. Usually made with bread flour. Have many varieties like either plain salty taste or adding as many flavors as you want. In Italian-American restaurants or in Italian and American houses they can be served as an appetizer or pre-meal snack. They can be topped with some sugar for sweet tooth. Bread sticks are usually crisp, thin and baked in pencil size which are easy to grab and go also.
Now, about my bread sticks, it's incomplete if I don't modify them as per the taste loved by people all around the world. My bread sticks have carom seeds, some cheese and many more flavors.
- 2 cups
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 1/4th cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp freshly crushed black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp yeast powder
- 1 tbsp sugar/honey
- 3/4 cup + 3 tbsp of lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp + 1/4th cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup semolina
- some salt flakes
- In lukewarm water, add honey/sugar and yeast. Cover it and let yeast get active for 10-15 mins. Once you see bubbles formed on top and yeast looks fluff on top of liquid, that means yeast is ready.
- Mix flour, chili flakes, black pepper, salt, Parmesan, cumin powder, carom seeds and 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Add yeast liquid in it and knead the dough for 10 mins or until its not sticky any more. Don't tempt to add more flour to be quick. By adding more flour you may loose the bread texture and bread won't turn that good.
- Let the dough rise to double in a greased big container. Don't forget to cover the container with clear fling wrap. It may take anywhere between 50 mins to 2 hrs. Depends on the weather.
- After the dough is risen, spread some semolina on counter and on top of dough also. You can divide the dough into 4-6 equal parts also, which makes it easy to roll.
- With the help of rolling pin, roll the dough and roll it 1 to inch thick. Cut equal size stripes of rolled dough.
- Place them on baking sheet and twist them a little making twisted bread sticks.
- With the help of a brush, spread little olive oil on all bread sticks and sprinkle some salt flakes.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 425 F or 220 C for 12 minutes.
- Enjoy them warm or cold. Can store them for at least 15-20 days.