Pita is mostly used in Mediterranean cuisine. Its a flat bread which puffs up while baking it and creates pocket and so is the name pocket pita bread. Warm, fresh and home baked pita is worth a try. Easy to make and requires very few ingredients. You can choose your choice of flour. My experiences, if you are going to use it immediately, you can use whole wheat flour or 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1/4th cup of all purpose flour or you can do 50-50. But ,i you are planning to keep it for later use please use all purpose flour.
If anyone needs recipe for falafel and hummus it is also given on my blog.
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 + 1/4th cups of flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- in a bowl, pour 1 cup of lukewarm water, add yeast and sugar and mix them. Leave it for 10-15 mins to get active. After 10-15 mins you can notice a light brown color froth layer is formed on top of it. Yeast is ready to use.
- Add flour. salt and mix them well. Add olive oil and keep kneading for next 10-12 mins. The dough will come together and may be little stick still. Leave it aside in a big bowl with enough space to rise and cover it with clear fling wrap. After 1 hr or for some it may take 2 hr, the dough has risen to its double or more.
- After that knead the dough for 1 minute and divide it onto 8-10 equal portions and give them the shape of ball. Cover them for 10 minutes with damp cloth.
- At this point decide how you are going to bake it. On gas top in a skillet or in the oven. If you are baking it in a over, pre-heat the oven at 475 F or 245 C. If you are going to cook on gas top in the skillet, turn the gas on before starting to roll the balls of dough. We need a well hot skillet for this.
- After 10 minutes take one ball, keep others covered and roll it into a flat disc of about 1/6th inch thick. Dust with little flour while rolling if needed.
- Put it in pre heated oven, and let it cook for 2-3 mins, it will puff up, then flip it and let it cook for another 2 mins and it's done. Keep an eye on it, because everyone's oven is different.
- Or Put cook it on top of hot skillet at high flame, 30-40 secs from one side, then flip the side and it will rise or puff up. Then cook for few more seconds from both side until light brown spots are visible.
- Keep them in a basket covered with cloth so that the don' dry out.