A Punjabi specialty, Dal Makhni. A combination of Kidney beans (rajma) and Black gram (Kali udad dal).
- 1/4th cup kidney beans
- 1/2 cup black gram
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 big tomato finely chopped
- 1 green chilly very finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/6th tsp of coriander powder
- 1/6th tsp of cumin powder
- few drops of lime juice
- Soak kidney beans and black gram together overnight and then boil them.
- In a pan add oil and butter. Once it is hot add cumin seeds.
- Then, add onion, ginger and garlic and let onion turn pink.
- Then, add tomatoes and green chillies. Add salt.
- When tomatoes turn little mushy, add turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder. Let them cook properly until oil separates from tomatoes.
- Add boiled beans and 1 cup of water. Let it cook for 10-12 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Serve hot with Masala roti or Missi roti.