Thought of sharing something from my own place. There are a variety of Sindhi curries famous for there taste. "Bhee Patata" is one of them. I kept its name as it is. We call it as "Bhee Patata" in sindhi. Actually Bhee is the sindhi name of Lotus Stem and patata stands for Potato. Usually this recipe is made for guests and in any marriage you going to get this. We have to slice lotus stem in right way and have to cook it till it is perfectly done. Then, only it tastes good.
- 2 Lotus stems. Throughly wash them and clean the mud completely. Slice them in SLANT slices about 1 inch thick, which reduces the hairy stuff from it.
- 1 Potato chopped in 1/2 inch of cubes
- 2 Onions chopped in slices
- 1 large tomato chopped in cubes
- 1/2 tsp of each ginger and garlic paste
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- salt as per taste
- 1/4 tsp of Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- 3-4 Tbsp of oil
- Water as required
- Pressure cook the slanted slices of lotus stem in water and some salt, till 1 whistle is heard. We don't want to overcook it. It may not get completely cooked in one 1 whistle. But, nothing to worry. We are going to completely cook it with potatoes and gravy.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil. Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds into it. Saute till cumin seeds are popping.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger and saute till onions turn to light brown in color.
- Then, add tomatoes and chillies. Saute for a minute.
- Add potatoes, and cook them for a minute or two.
- Then, add salt, coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Saute it for 1 minute.
- Add boiled lotus stem pieces and about 1 & 1/2 cup of water. Mix it well.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook it till another 2 whistles are heard.
- Garnish the curry with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapatis.