One more delicious appetizer "Spring Rolls" also known as "chūn juǎn" in chinese. It is famous for spring festival of china, Hence named as Spring Rolls. In this appetizer, I have made pastry sheets at home. If you don't have time, u can buy ready pastry sheets from market. You can find pastry sheets in frozen section of any grocery store.
|Spring Rolls/Chun Juan|
|Ingredients for Spring Roll|
- 1/2 Cabbage (finely chopped)
- 2 Carrots (Finely Chopped)
- 4-5 Garlic cloves (Very finely chopped)
- 1/2 Cup of Green Onions (Very Finely Chopped)
- 2 Tbsp of Soya Sauce
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp of Red Chilly Sauce
- 2-3 Green chillies (Finely Chopped)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Tsp Black pepper/White pepper (Ur choice)
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp of Oil
- 1 Tbsp of cornflour
- 2-3 Tbsp of water
- Oil to deep fry
- 1 Cup of wheat flour
- 1/4th Tsp Salt
- Water to make dough
- Make dough using wheat flour, salt and water. Dough should be as same as that of Roti/Chapati (Bread we use to eat with any curry) dough.Cover the dough with kitchen towel and keep it aside for 25-30 minutes.
- In a pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add cumin seeds into it. Then, add carrot into it and saute for about 2-3 minutes. Then, add cabbage, green onion, garlic and green chillies. Saute it for 3-4 minutes. Add salt, pepper, soya sauce and chilly sauce and saute it for 5 more minutes. Take it off from heat and let it cool.
- Our dough was resting for 30 minutes. Now, we have to make the pastry sheets. Take small amount of dough, from which u can make one Roti. Roll it with the help of rolling pin in square shape. U have to roll it very thin, until your base, on which u r rolling it, is clearly visible. Roll the complete dough in same manner.
- Heat tawa very well on medium heat. Now, we have to bake these rolled rotis on tawa for not more that two seconds. Each side of roti is required to be backed for just one second. Not more than that.
- After our pastry sheets are ready, we will start filling them with our mixture.
- Mix cornflour and water together to make a heavy paste.
- Take one pastry sheet, put 1 & 1/2 Tbsp filling into it, at one corner of sheet. Start rolling the sheet inside, so that, complete mixture will be inside the sheet. Pack it with the help of cornflour paste. Repeat the same method with all sheets and complete mixture.
- Deep fry all the rolls and serve hot with tomato sauce or any sauce of your choice.
|Rolled Spring Rolls|
a) You can add other things also in filling like Paneer, sprouts. They also tastes good.
b) If you are buying ready pastry sheets, u can also bake these rolls. Pre-heat oven at 400 F or 200 C and bake them until golden brown.
c) Please do not bake the rolls we made, because we made them with wheat flour and when you try to bake them, they become harder rather than being crispy.
d) If you want to bake them, try to make dough with all purpose flour and add oil in dough.
e) Non-veg lovers can add meat into the mixture.
Important: Your comments, suggestions and queries are appreciated.